Sunday, November 25, 2007

Reinventing English

Where do I begin? Reinventing English, small as it is, offers so much and links it all, I think, so well. I remember one of my DP (Teaching Diverse Populations) classes in undergrad, the book divided into chapters on race and ethnicity, sex and sexuality, age, religion, etc. I remember all of the classes emphasizing multicultural education. All of these classes reiterated, "It’s not just about food and holidays." But none of them delved into the gritty stuff. None of these classes discussed how to really challenge students’ thoughts and prejudices.
I really enjoyed how Gaughan merged teaching strategies (centers, four circles) with curricula with real teaching experiences with real student samples with major issues.
I apologize, my thoughts are sporadic.
When Gaughan recounts Katie and how "Becoming aware of the discriminations that surrounds her will help Katie control her own destiny, but she has to believe that discrimination exists in the first place" (71), I am reminded of a girl who despite all of our discussions refuses to believe the possibility of being a victim of sexual abuse. The fact that 1 in 6 women will be raped before entering college is not enough to make her reevaluate her thoughts. She is tough she can fight off one man. So I heighten the threat to two men; she can fight them off. Three, fight that much harder, everything around you is a weapon. I admire her attitude, but how can she be proactive (by not drinking too much, staying out of certain situations, etc.) if she doesn’t believe she could be raped? I struggled with her, and several of the girls in this particular group. I often felt as though I was making no difference at all. What good is this group if they are unwilling to change their beliefs? I have to say I felt better reading the accounts in Reinventing English. Several of his students held true to their beliefs, but a spark of understanding was apparent in their writing. The door to the topic was open, and sometimes that is all we can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"All of these classes reiterated, "It’s not just about food and holidays." But none of them delved into the gritty stuff. None of these classes discussed how to really challenge students’ thoughts and prejudices."

That was my experience in High School and college too, it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I was asked to look at myself so closely. In turn I'm now curious about what critical literacy looks like in the everyday classroom, that's why I like this book, I have a picture/outline in my head of what is possible.

audranoodles said...

I agree, Sara, that we don't want to send teachers off with only a vague idea of social justice as "saving" others or bringing them in to conformity with the teachers views. Gaughan suggests that we might be better off embracing diversity of opinion while planting the seeds of inquiry, in which learning becomes a process (not a uniform end product we must all arrive at). Nice.

moxie said...

Sara, I loved this post. You read my mind. I'm not quite done reading yet, but even seeing the chapter titles makes me feel better, as these difficult and touchy issues are laced throughout all our lives and our country. So much to say and think about. I'm glad the door is open.