Sunday, November 11, 2007

Reconceptulalizing Part 2

Chapter 9:
"Change takes time" is no longer an applicable idiom. How do we keep up with the changes (I know I haven't been very successful) and give students the tools to keep up with the change?
When I think about school systems and politics I often think about the opportunities I missed out on as a result of the social class into which I was born, and thus the opportunities missed by today's students from lower classes. I almost never, however, think about what students in upper classes miss out on. Their schools may offer tools and skills for "shape-shifting" but they leave students oblivious to social injustice and inequalities. To what extent are teachers responsible for involving privileged students in authentic diversity discourses. In the past few months I have met a handful of people who, as adults, are now struggling with understanding their role in our complex society as privileged white people. They feel "white guilt" for the first time in their lives. For the first time in their lives they are considering issues that others begin to deal with as children. In schools that are inherently not diverse, how do we expose students to diversity and reality? How do we clarify that the goal is not to become "worldly" but critical of out world?

Chapter 10:
Interesting how once again we see students from working class families responding in personal ways while students from middle class families have detached responses.
This chapter brought up several issues with technology that I have had. I have been skeptical of using the Internet as an answer to struggling readers. I also struggle with what it entails to be computer/Internet literate. Does knowing how to download and watch music videos actually indicate that students are Internet literate?
The accounts of the searches for information in the two classes revealed my exact problems with using technology solely as replacements for print-based information sources. Those struggling with print literacy struggle with Internet inquires. So these are the implications I gathered to keep on the forefront of my mind:
1. Incorporate other forms of technology and uses for Internet.
2. Build background of other ways to find information (encyclopedia.com) rather than allowing students to rely on search engines.
3. Use technology and print together to help each other, not just as a substitute for the other.
4. Invite students to do more than just change wall paper.
5. Asses how this is actually helping students.
6. Take advantage of available technology (it's so easy to not).

Chapter 12:
Teachers' refusal to reevaluate and restructure curriculum and methods really does reveal a lack of respect for students. It is eye-opening and sad to think of it this way.
In terms of research, the authors are correct in that "This business of who gets represented and how in our research texts is a tricky one" (238). There is too much influencing and informing one situation to include every point of view. I see the focus on teachers as convenient (one instead of 30) and indicative of the fact that how teachers teach shows their respect/disrespect for students. Thus, it is worth closely examining the teacher. I understand the authors' point and I believe it essential to examine the view/voice of the students, but I don't find it necessary to read "nearly wholly fictionalized" accounts. I'd rather spend my time reading real accounts.
The following chapter seems to focused on teacher and drawing the connection between teacher development and student needs. This should be interesting . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Change takes time" is no longer an applicable idiom. How do we keep up with the changes (I know I haven't been very successful) and give students the tools to keep up with the change?

That's so funny that you say that, I had just been writing that on other blogs. If you watch Audra and Jen's video, it really bring your point to light. Great minds think alike!
:-)

I've realized that I have quietly subscribed to new technologies, without even realize. Think about who you were 10 years ago and the role technology played then. Now think about you today. Wow!

Anna Consalvo said...

Those struggling with print literacy struggle with Internet inquires. So these are the implications I gathered to keep on the forefront of my mind:
1. Incorporate other forms of technology and uses for Internet.
2. Build background of other ways to find information (encyclopedia.com) rather than allowing students to rely on search engines.
3. Use technology and print together to help each other, not just as a substitute for the other.
4. Invite students to do more than just change wall paper.
5. Asses how this is actually helping students.
6. Take advantage of available technology (it's so easy to not).
I agree with you on mixing print and media; search engines and online reference tools; and actual books in the actual library. But whatever it is, it has to be for an authentic purpose. When I taught my juniors, we did an exploration by a variety of means of career options. They had to do extended goals clarification. First, they chose 5 careers from two lists of jobs -- one list of jobs that required two years or less of post secondary ed and the other list of jobs that required 4+ years of college. They had to reseach a little about all 10; then cut 2 from each list, and research a little more; and on down to 1 from each, with substantial info on each. I saw kids who avoided books, actually search for them; I saw kids who struggled with computer skills ask for and get help from others who were more savvy....and so on...Some students told me that was the first time in high school that they'd gotten to really DO something for themselves -- which is good that it happened but sad sad sad that it's so uncommon.

My Musings said...

"In schools that are inherently not diverse, how do we expose students to diversity and reality? How do we clarify that the goal is not to become "worldly" but critical of out world?"

This is so important. I think it is crucial for us to have these conversations with students. Through these conversations, we need to offer students tools to think critically about things that happen in our world. I think, as English teachers, we can use texts as conversation starters. As Applebee tells us, the text is just a beginning. The curriculum should be based around the conversations we are having.

Last week in my blog, I commented on Kylene Beers' suggestion about using the internet to communicate with students in other places. As technology expands, there are more and more methods for encouraging students to work with others who come from different backgrounds. It just requires that we, as teachers, make this a priority.