Saturday, October 20, 2007

books in Spanish

I've been looking for certain books in Spanish and others by Chicano writers, but every place I've looked has turned up dry as a . . . well, maybe the metaphor I'm going for isn't appropriate here. Anyhow, I tried Resistencia and it was incredibly disappointing. Such a small selection. What about Trinidad Sanchez? Where was his poetry? What about Alurista? These are people who had a place in Tejas. Where are they in Austin? There is a big enough population of Hispanics/Chicanos/Mexican Americans/Lations/Whatever you want to call this population in Austin to warrent a bookstore that has a wide variety of representative literature. If anybody knows of a bookstore/library (UT and public have turned up rather dry also) I could go to, please let me know.
Where am I supposed to find books that my students can read in their native language, and no, I don't mean A Series of Unfortunate Events translated. If I want to find a book about relationships for teenage girls written first in Spanish, it shouldn't be this hard to find it. Yes, I can find most things online, but I should be able to walk into a store and find more than what's currently available. Is there really that small of a demand? I expected more from Austin.

2 comments:

Ann D. said...

I don't think bookstores have caught on yet. I had those same struggles in Chicago where, like Austin, there is a large enough population of Spanish-speakers one could sell books. I'm always on the lookout, so if I find anything, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

I like going to publishers directly! Here are some that I like for real(not tranlated) latino literature...oh, I have the list in my office! I'll bring it to you!
:-)