Sunday, September 23, 2007

Applebee - p.28

Part of what I wanted to write last week but was too tired to think:

On page 28 Applebee lists the ten most frequently cited titles; this is what I remember about 6 of them in my high school experience.

1. Romeo and Juliet - In freshman English we spent several weeks on Romeo and Juliet, but don't ask me exactly what we did because we were NOT required to read it.

2. Julius Caesar - I had to teach Julius Caesar to Sophomores (most of them recent arrivals from Mexico). By teach, I mean I had to explain every single line to them. Just to be clear, this was not my idea. My mentor made sure I did exactly that.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird - In sophomore English we were allowed to pick our own books to read for a projects. The teacher begged someone to read it, explaining its status as a classic. I opted to read number 6 on my list . . .

4. Of Mice and Men - I read this when I was a freshman. Upon completion, I went to the school library, took a test containing entirely multiple choice questions about the book, passed it, and that was the end of it.

5. The Great Gatsby - This is my favorite. Junior English. One of the greatest American novels, says teacher. To celebrate its greatness, we watch the movie. Read? What does that mean?

6. Lord of the Flies - This was the book that I chose for my project. Completed the project and received an A without even reading the first page. I know, I'm ashamed.

1 comment:

Ann D. said...

This is wonderful... This sums up the life of so many students who get good at doing school. And what a great memory you have.

My only contribution is that I only read Huck Finn (my grandmother is a Twain scholar and I would have been severly hurt had I not read it), R&J, and Julius Caesar in my HS career. The rest I "caught up" with during college or when I had to teach them.